UPMC Physician Resources
Infectious agents and impaired cognitive processes in schizophrenia
Using results from recent studies, Dr. Nimgaonkar discusses the relationship between the herpes virus and cognitive functioning in schizophrenia.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Discuss cognitive function in Schizophrenia
- Describe the biology of Herpes Simplex Virus-1
- Review causation of cognitive dysfunction in Schizophrenia
- Synaptic dysfunction in schizophrenia. Yin DM, Chen YJ, Sathyamurthy A, Xiong WC, Mei L. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2012;970:493-516.
- Principal Components of Heritability From Neurocognitive Domains Differ Between Families With Schizophrenia and Control Subjects. Wiener H, Klei L, Calkins M, Wood J, Nimgaonkar V, Gur R, Bradford LD, Richard J, Edwards N, Savage R, Kwentus J, Allen T, McEvoy J, Santos A, Gur R, Devlin B, Go R. Schizophr Bull. 2012 Jan 10.
- Progressive gray matter loss and changes in cognitive functioning associated with exposure to herpes simplex virus 1 in schizophrenia: a longitudinal study. Prasad KM, Eack SM, Goradia D, Pancholi KM, Keshavan MS, Yolken RH, Nimgaonkar VL.Am J Psychiatry. 2011 Aug;168(8):822-30. Epub 2011 Jun 1.
Dr. Nimgaonkar has no relationships with proprietary entities producing healthcare goods or services.
The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine designates this enduring material for a maximum of 0.75 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Each physician should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. Other health care professionals are awarded (0.075) continuing education units (CEU) which are equivalent to 0.75 contact hour.
For your credit transcript, please access our website 4 weeks post-completion at http://ccehs.upmc.edu and follow the link to the Credit Transcript page. If you do not provide the last 5 digits of your SSN on the next page you will not be able to access a CME credit transcript. Providing your SSN is voluntary.
Release Date: 10/18/2012 | Last Modified On: 10/18/2012 | Expires: 10/18/2013