UPMC Physician Resources
Our Oncology Program
UPMC CancerCenter, partner with University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute (UPCI), is one of the nation’s largest integrated cancer care networks. Comprising more than 35 community cancer centers and 14 disease-specific specialty care centers, our network treats more than 25,000 new patients each year.
Advanced Diagnostic Testing
UPMC CancerCenter uses the most advanced diagnostic tools to detect cancer, including:
- CT-guided ultrasound biopsy
- Molecular diagnostics
- Sentinel lymph node mapping
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) biopsy
Latest Radiotherapy and Radiosurgery Techniques
UPMC CancerCenter is a leader in advanced radiotherapy and radiosurgery treatments, using the newest equipment and techniques available anywhere in the country. Our radiation oncology department:
- is one of the top sites worldwide for total use of the CyberKnife®
- has performed nearly 12,000 surgeries using the Gamma Knife®
- is one of only a handful of U.S. cancer centers to offer TrueBeam™ image-guided radiation oncology treatment, the latest technology available
Cutting-edge Surgical Treatment
UPMC CancerCenter surgeons treat some of the most difficult cancers using up-to-the-minute surgical procedures and techniques, including:
- Hyperthermal intraperitoneal chemotheraphy (HIPEC) for metastatic colorectal and peritoneal carcinomatosis
- Innovative perfusion techniques for metastatic malignancies
- Robotic Whipple procedure for pancreatic cancer
- Skin-sparing mastectomies and reconstruction for breast cancer
- Sphincter-sparing surgeries for rectal cancer
Comprehensive Medical Oncology Treatment
UPMC CancerCenter physicians developed the Clinical Pathways model of patient care that is used throughout the entire network. Clinical Pathways, among the nation’s most comprehensive sets of medical and radiation oncology protocols, ensure that patients receive the same high level of care at the network’s community centers as they would receive at Hillman Cancer Center, the hub center of the network.
Groundbreaking Clinical Research
With its partner, UPCI, western Pennsylvania’s only National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, UPMC CancerCenter physician-researchers lead pioneering laboratory-based studies that translate quickly into patient care.
UPCI researchers have participated in clinical trials in every phase of development for a wide variety of cancers, including such breakthroughs as:
- The first FDA-approved adjuvant therapy, an immunotherapy known as Interferon-alfa-2b, for the prevention of relapse
- The discovery of Merkel Cell Polyomavirus
- Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR)
- PARP inhibitors
- Double-strand DNA repair
- Molecular diagnostics to detect cancer in cells that appear benign under the microscope
Featured Cancer Program: Melanoma and Skin Cancer
Although melanoma accounts for only about three percent of skin cancer cases, it causes more than 75 percent of skin cancer deaths.
UPMC CancerCenter’s internationally renowned Melanoma and Skin Cancer Program has been a trailblazer in the multidisciplinary approach to patient care, which combines the expertise of medical, radiation and surgical oncologists with specialists in hematology, dermatology, and pathology.