Dr. Ronald Codario focuses his talk on diabetes and endocrine topics, as well as clinical practice changing updates in the last year for an internal medicine audience.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Improve management of patients with type 2 diabetes by implementing treatment strategies using the best and most recently available data specifically for metformin, empagliflozin, and liraglutide.
- Improve management of patients with low risk thyroid neoplasms by implementing treatment and surveillance strategies based on current pathological and clinical characteristics.
- Implement safeguards for protecting patients from inappropriate treatment with testosterone replacement therapy by identifying the key details of recent large scale clinical trials.
- FDA revises warnings regarding use of the diabetes medicine metformin in certain patients with reduced kidney function: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm493244.htm
- Bernard Zinman, M.D., Christoph Wanner, M.D., John M. Lachin, Sc.D., David Fitchett, M.D., Erich Bluhmki, Ph.D., Stefan Hantel, Ph.D., Michaela Mattheus, Dipl. Biomath., Theresa Devins, Dr.P.H., Odd Erik Johansen, M.D., Ph.D., Hans J. Woerle, M.D., Uli C. Broedl, M.D., and Silvio E. Inzucchi, M.D., for the EMPA-REG OUTCOME Investigators. Empagliflozin, Cardiovascular Outcomes, and Mortality in Type 2 Diabetes. N Engl J Med 2015; 373;22.
- Steven P. Marso, M.D., Gilbert H. Daniels, M.D., Kirstine Brown?Frandsen, M.D., Peter Kristensen, M.D., E.M.B.A., Johannes F.E. Mann, M.D., Michael A. Nauck, M.D., Steven E. Nissen, M.D., Stuart Pocock, Ph.D., Neil R. Poulter, F.Med.Sci., Lasse S. Ravn, M.D., Ph.D., William M. Steinberg, M.D., Mette Stockner, M.D., Bernard Zinman, M.D., Richard M. Bergenstal, M.D., and John B. Buse, M.D., Ph.D., for the LEADER Steering Committee on behalf of the LEADER Trial Investigators. Liraglutide and Cardiovascular Outcomes in Type 2 Diabetes. N Engl J Med 2016; 375;4.
- Bergenstal RM, Garg S, Weinzimer SA, Buckingham BA, Bode BW, Tamborlane WV, Kaufman FR. Safety of a Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery System in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes. JAMA 2016; 316(13): 1407-1408.
- Nikiforov YE, Seethala RR, Tallini G, Baloch ZW, Basolo F, Thompson LDR, Barletta JA, Wenig BM, Gooding WE, Hodak SP, Lloyd RV, Maytal G, Mete O, Nikiforova MN, Nosé V, Papotti M, Poller DN, Sadow PM, Tischler AS, Tuttle RM, Wall KB, LiVolsi VA, Randolph GW, Ghossein RA. Nomenclature Revision for Encapsulated Follicular Variant of Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma: A Paradigm Shift to Reduce Overtreatment of Indolent Tumors. JAMA Oncol. 2016;2(8):1023-1029.
- Snyder PJ, Bhasin S, Cunningham GR, Matsumoto AM, Stephens?Shields AJ, Cauley JA, Gill TM, Barrett?Connor E, Swerdloff RS, Wang C, Ensrud KE, Lewis CE, Farrar JT, Cella D, Rosen RC, Pahor M, Crandall JP, Molitch ME, Cifelli D, Dougar D, Fluharty L, Resnick SM, Storer TW, Anton S, Basaria S, Diem SJ, Hou X, Mohler III ER, Parsons JK, Wenger NK, Zeldow B, Landis JR, Ellenberg SS, for the Testosterone Trials Investigators. Effects of Testosterone Treatment in Older Men. N Engl J Med 2016;374:611-24.
Dr. Codario has reported no relevant relationships with entities producing health care goods or services.
All presenters disclosure of relevant financial relationships with any entity producing, marketing, re-selling, or distributing health care goods or services, used on, or consumed by, patients is listed above. No other planners, members of the planning committee, speakers, presenters, authors, content reviewers and/or anyone else in a position to control the content of this education activity have relevant financial relationships to disclose.
The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Each physician should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. Other health care professionals are awarded (0.1) continuing education units (CEU) which are equivalent to 1 contact hour.
For your credit transcript, please access our website 4 weeks post-completion at http://ccehs.upmc.edu and follow the link to the Credit Transcript page. If you do not provide the last 5 digits of your SSN on the next page you will not be able to access a CME credit transcript. Providing your SSN is voluntary.
Release Date: 9/28/2017 | Last Modified On: 9/28/2017 | Expires: 8/30/2020