UPMC Faculty, Residents, and Fellows Share Expertise in 2022 Pittsburgh Heart Team Summit
June 21, 2022
Experts from UPMC and the University of Pittsburgh will be well-represented during the 2022 Pittsburgh Heart Team Summit on July 22.
During this year’s meeting, physicians and researchers from UPMC and the University of Pittsburgh will share their expertise in a range of cardiovascular conditions including atrial fibrillation, hypertensive disorders of pregnancy, heart failure, and more. The program committee awarded Michael Bashline’s, MD, presentation, “Examining the Safety of Withholding Anticoagulation After an Intracerebral Hemorrhage in Patients with Mechanical Heart Valves,” best overall submission.
Below is a complete list of presentations and poster sessions featuring experts from UPMC and University of Pittsburgh. Various UPMC experts will also serve as moderators and panel members, including:
- Barinder S. Hansra, MD
- Catalin Toma, MD
- David J. Kaczorowski, MD
- Leyla Elif Sade, MD
- Johannes Bonatti, MD
- Ibrahim Sultan, MD
- Malamo Countouris, MD
- Márcio S. Bittencourt, MD
- Prem Soman, MD
- Samir F. Saba, MD
- Sandeep K. Jain, MD
- Saurabh Sanon, MD
Session 1: Arrhythmia and Implantable Devices
8 to 9 a.m.
- Beta Blockers are Associated with Reduced All-Cause Mortality Among HFpEF Patients, presented by Joseph Ibrahim, MD
- The Long-Term Impact of Postoperative Atrial Fibrillation after Cardiac Surgery, presented by Valentino Bianco, MD
- A single center experience of outcomes of endocarditis in pregnancy, presented by Kayle Shapero, MD
- Safety of Catheter Ablation Therapy for Atrial Fibrillation in Cardiac Amyloidosis, presented by Hassan Alhassan, MD
Session 2: Coronary Disease
9:15 to 10:45 a.m.
- Transfusion of non-red blood cell blood products does not reduce survival following cardiac surgery, presented by Valentino Bianco, MD
- Upfront Impella 5.0 vs. Prior Mechanical Circulatory Support Use in Cardiogenic Shock: A Single Center Experience, presented by Michael Bashline, MD
- The impact of pulmonary artery catheter use in cardiac surgery, presented by James Brown
- Complete revascularization during coronary artery bypass grafting is associated with reduced major adverse events, presented by Valentino Bianco, MD
- Demographic Differences in Palliative Care Contact among Patients with Heart Failure, presented by Brad Very, MD
- Low Prevalence of Non-Response to Vasodilator Stress during dynamic CZT SPECT MPI, presented by Ricardo Andres Nieves, MD
Session 3: Pulmonary Thromboembolic Disease
11 a.m. to noon
- Activin A and Postpartum Hypertension in Peripartum Cardiomyopathy, presented by Agnes Koczo, MD
- Sex-related Differences in Clinical Outcomes after Thoracic Endovascular Aortic Repair, presented by Sarah Yousef, MD
- High prevalence of microvascular dysfunction in cardiac ATTR amyloidosis: A CZT SPECT study, presented by Ricardo Andres Nieves, MD
- DSPECT-Specific Normative Limits for Left Ventricular Size and Function, presented by Joseph Ibrahim, MD
Session 4: Aortic Valve
12:30 to 2 p.m.
- Outcomes of Reoperative Aortic Root Surgery, presented by James Brown, MD
- Long-term Outcomes after Surgical Repair for Type A Aortic Dissection in Patients with End-Stage Renal Disease, presented by Takuya Ogami, MD
- Clinical Outcomes of Stented versus Stentless Bioprosthetic Valves after Aortic Root Replacement, presented by James Brown, MD
- The Impact of Aortic Root Enlargement on Patients undergoing Aortic Valve Replacement, presented by Sarah Yousef, MD
- Outcomes of Emergent Surgery for Acute Type A Aortic Dissection Complicated by Malperfusion Syndrome, presented by James Brown, MD
Session 5: Mitral and Tricuspid Valve
2:15 to 3:15 p.m.
- Misdiagnosis of Thoracic Aortic Emergencies Occurs Frequently Among Transfers to Aortic Referral Centers: An Analysis of over 3700 patients, presented by Takuya Ogami, MD
- Sex based Outcomes after Surgery for Acute Type A Aortic Dissection, presented by Sarah Yousef, MD
- The Survival Advantage of Intraoperative Neurophysiologic Monitoring During Aortic Arch Surgery, presented by James Brown, MD
- Examining the Duration and Safety of Withholding Anticoagulation After an Intracerebral Hemorrhage in Patients with Mechanical Heart Valves, presented by Michael Bashline, MD
3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
Left Field Chat with Dr. Michael Mack and Dr. Blase Carabello
Update from the American Red Cross
4:30 to 4:40 p.m.
Resident Poster Presentations
4:30 to 6 p.m.
- Technical aspects of robotically assisted left atrial myxoma resection, presented by Rachel Deitz, MD
- Long-Term Outcomes of Hemiarch Replacement with Hypothermic Circulatory Arrest and Retrograde Cerebral Perfusion, presented by James Brown, MD
- Transfemoral Versus Subclavian Access for Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement, presented by Sarah Yousef, MD
- Central versus Peripheral Cannulation for Acute Type A Aortic Dissection, presented by Sarah Yousef, MD
- Preservation versus Replacement of the Aortic Root for Acute Type A Aortic Dissection, presented by James Brown, MD
- Comparing Outcomes of Patients with End-Stage Heart Failure and History of Ventricular Tachyarrhythmias on and off Continuous Inotropes, presented by Manasi Sejpal, MD
- Deep Hypothermic Circulatory Arrest versus Retrograde Cerebral Perfusion for Hemiarch Reconstruction, presented by Takuya Ogami, MD